Rainbow Child Development Center
Rainbow Child Development Center, an outstanding non-profit providing comprehensive childcare and supportive social services to low-income children in Worcester, Massachusetts, is seeking a dynamic new Executive Director. This is an exciting opportunity to shape the future in a licensed and NAEYC accredited organization with a strong staff and board who are ready for growth and continued excellence.
Rainbow Child Development Center (Rainbow) transforms children’s lives and their families by providing educational and therapeutic programs and services. It was founded in 1972 in Plumley Village, a low-income housing development in Worcester, and has provided educational services to “at risk” children and families in neighborhoods throughout Worcester County. In 2005, Rainbow completed a $1.5 million renovation of a 10,000 square foot historic property that allowed expansion of programs, and the Worcester Chamber of Commerce awarded the ‘Silver Hammer Award’ for the quality of this renovation. In 2018, Rainbow completed a state-of-the-art outdoor classroom and play spaces for preschool and school age children at a cost of $850,000.
We serve almost 200 children (58% Latino and 23% African American) with programs including:
- Family Childcare – Provides high quality, developmentally appropriate care to over 40 children ranging from 6 weeks to 2.9 years in 8 private homes licensed by the state. Each Educator provides a safe and nurturing small group setting and meets continuing education requirements.
- Pre-School – Serves 64 children ranging from 2.9 to 7 years of age in 4 classrooms. Teachers, aided by interns and volunteers, direct each classroom. The interactive and child-centered curriculum offers each child the chance to explore and learn in a supportive environment.
- School Age – Serves 91 children between the ages of 5 and 13 in two Worcester Public Schools (Belmont Community School and City View School) and at our Center. The program provides an enriched, stimulating curriculum with a heavy emphasis on homework and academic assistance.
- Summer – In the summer, the school age program becomes a summer camp including swimming and other traditional summer camp activities. 115 children are bused daily to Camp Marshall in Rutland.
- Social Service – Provides a wide range of supportive services to nurture families including early intervention, speech therapy, assessments, teeth cleaning and fluoride treatments, play therapy, and individual and group counseling to children and their families. Rainbow provides case management services, workshops and trainings for parents, referrals to community services, donations of emergency food, and other basic needs. We collaborate with local service providers including Community Health Link, Together for Kids, and You, Inc.
All full-day programs operate Monday – Friday, 52 weeks a year and provide breakfast, lunch and snacks as well as transportation. Rainbow is led by a 17-member Board of Directors and an Advisory Board of community and business leaders. Annual revenue of $2.7 million is derived 79% from government contracts, 13% from parent fees, and 6% from contributions and grants. Rainbow was selected by Root Cause, a respected national research and consulting firm, as one of the 21 most recommended High Performing School Readiness organizations in Massachusetts in 2010.
The Executive Director is responsible for the overall management of the agency and its programs in accordance with the policies set by the Board of Directors, contracting and licensing agencies, and the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. S/he will lead in envisioning a strong future and developing sustainable resources and quality, innovative programs to support healthy children and families in the Worcester community.
- Envision short and long-range strategies and inspire staff, board and supporters to make consistent and timely progress to achieving the mission
- Hire, lead, effectively supervise and support staff to maintain quality programming, use of programs and administrative operations
- Provide sound fiscal management, oversight of the annual budget and careful reporting
- Seek and oversee development of financial resources including contracts, grants, and contributions from a variety of sources including government, corporations, foundations and individuals
- Report to and work with the Board of Directors in setting policies and strategic direction and creating programs consistent with the mission
- Promote active participation by board and volunteers
- Build and maintain relationships for the agency in the early education and broader Worcester communities
- Maintain licensing and a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field
- Ensure appropriate maintenance for the building and property
Love of children and respect for family involvement required
- Minimum of five years experience leading an organization of a similar size including financial and operations management, hiring and supervision of employees; nonprofit experience a plus
- Background in early childhood education and development desired; experience in literacy, speech/language development a plus. Willing to be hands-on when needed.
- Experience obtaining and administering state contracts
- Open and welcoming of diversity and the opportunity to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Successful experience in fundraising
- Strategic planning and organizational evaluation experience
- Experience reporting to and leading a board of directors in governance responsibilities
- Excellent communication, teambuilding, listening and organizational skills
- Master’s degree in education, social work, psychology, sociology, business, management or related field or equivalent experience preferred
- Car and driver’s license and ability to attend meetings outside the agency
- Bilingual in Spanish/English a plus
- Familiarity with the Worcester community
Rainbow Child Development Center is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and salary history to Susan Barry, Egmont Associates, email@example.com