Rainbow Child Development Center transforms the lives of at-risk children and their families by providing quality educational and therapeutic programs and services.
- Sustain a leadership position in providing high quality early education and care programs for children that are research-based, successfully implemented, and culturally appropriate.
- Implement best practices and principles to promote and integrate social and emotional wellness for young children and families. Integrate holistic wellness principles into all aspects of Rainbow’s early childhood system. Foster and encourage resilience strategies for children and families as a means to lifelong mental health.
- Advocate and elevate the importance of early education for all children through business and community partnerships. Increase stakeholders commitment to early education by recognizing its high rate of economic return.
- Strengthen and retain strong bonds between educators and families to bridge the gap between home and school. Encourage parental participation in their child’s academic, social and emotion achievements and actively participate in Rainbow’s family friendly events.
- Maintain Rainbow Child Development Center’s high standards associated with the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) accreditation, Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) Standards, and MA Curriculum Frameworks.
- Implement innovative STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) to children’s learning experiences to acquire STEAM skills.
Rainbow Child Development Center (RCDC) services 250 highly at-risk children
daily from 6 weeks up to 13 years old and offers high returns on investment to
the City of Worcester. The Center’s three programs, namely, Family Child Care,
Preschool and Extended Learning School Age Program, supported by our community
partners, provide proactive, innovative programs that ultimately transform the lives
of children and their families. Each day RCDC’s team of teachers and administrators
work toward closing the achievement gap and eliminating the cycle of poverty. This
is accomplished through leading edge programming, best practices in assessment,
collaborating with community partners, and establishing a partnership with parents
that facilitates their children’s success and their retention of their full-time
employment to become self-sufficient.
The Center serves children from very low income families. Many are subject to daily
adverse experiences that include being victims of abuse or neglect. The center of
RCDC’s attention is to enhance students’ academic success and self-esteem through
enriched academic, cultural and healthy lifestyle programs.
The Center’s healthy lifestyle and nutrition programs continue to grow and develop.
Last summer children enjoyed planting, caring for and eating fresh tomatoes,
peppers, basil, squash and broccoli from Preschool children. Children in the after
school program participated in a nutritional food series facilitated by Nutritional
Educators from UMass Food Extension Program.
Throughout the year, Rainbow hosts family-friendly events at no cost such as:
A Parent Healthy Cooking On a Budget Series, “Veggie Parties,” African Dance and
Drumming Presentation, Family Bingo, and Art Exhibits. Needless to say, the Center
is vibrant. We encourage you to visit Rainbow Child Development Center to see
how your support has transformed children’s lives!
Business and Community Partnerships
Rainbow Child Development Center works to transform the lives of children and their families, however, progress does not happen in a vacuum. It requires communication, financial support and collaboration with our numerous business and community partners. Our partners demonstrate their commitment to at-risk children by providing first-hand, new experiences that expand children’s comprehension of science, technology, fine art, nutrition and practices that contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Additionally, our partners are behind the scenes and provide children and families with holiday dinners, Christmas gifts, blankets, clothing, backpacks and new books.
Each collaboration is unique and adds value to our programs. For example, UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program (NEP), the Regional Environmental Council (REC) and others, have facilitated the Center’s initiatives that address nutrition, food access, and healthy lifestyles. Together, they have utilized Rainbow’s on-site gardens and integrated nutrition lessons for preschool and after-school children, planned menus, and have led interactive activities for families.
Other partnerships include the Webster Five Savings Bank Foundation. The Foundation has financially supported a ten-week interactive preschool summer science program for several years to increase children’s exposure to and exploration of natural science. The Digital Credit Union Foundation has funded Rainbow’s Fine Art Series. Research has confirmed when children are involved in Fine Arts, it improves their prospects to achieve higher academic results, have college aspirations, and civic participation. Some of our generous holiday helpers include Telegram & Gazette Santa, Cutler Associates, Greendale People’s Church, Jewish Health Care Center, St. Mark’s Church and the Worcester Railers. All have donated funding and hundreds of new toys and clothing that matched children’s “wish lists” to guarantee their Christmas was bright and memorable!
Collectively, we are creating pathways for children and families to succeed. Rainbow is extremely grateful and appreciative of our partners’ sustained dedication. Together, we continue to provide children and families numerous positive opportunities and experiences that have a lasting effect.
Programs Funded By RCDC Community Partners & Businesses
Rainbow offers the following customized programs listed below to children throughout the year to enhance their knowledge, increase their strengths, support a healthy lifestyle and enhance their self-esteem!
- Speech & Language Development Program
- Healthy Lifestyle & Nutrition Program
- Exercise Your Mind – Reading Program
- Summer Literacy
- African Art Education
- Fine Art
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math
- Social Emotional Therapy
- Summer Science Program
- Exercise and Creative Movement
- Urban & Hydroponic Gardening
- 5210 – Go Worcester Go!
- Parent Healthy Cooking Classes